Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Hey, white girl!

Today as I was walking down a busy street, a street vendor called out to me (in English), "Hello! How are you? I like you! You are my friend!"

The Chinese are still getting used to seeing non-Asians walking around here... and it's not considered rude to stare here, so people stare at anyone who isn't Asian. And some of these people will shout "Hello!" at foreigners (usually after he/she has already passed by, because it takes a few seconds for them to muster the courage). And in many cases, that is all of the English they know.

A few days ago, I was walking down the street, and I walked past a group of teenagers who were all huddled around something. One of the guys on the outside of the group noticed me, and he proceeded to excitedly point me out to his friends... so the whole group (about 8 of them) turned around to watch me walk by. I just kinda smiled and waved at them... it's not like everyone can say they've been waved at by a white person! ;)

There's a sense of understanding among all of us "lao wai" (foreigners) here. Many lao wai (including me) will smile and say hello whenever they encounter a fellow foreigner, regardless of whether or not we actually know each other. It's kinda comforting. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment