Friday, May 1, 2009

Wuhan School for the Blind

If you read my Happy Easter post, you might remember that I mentioned visiting the Wuhan School for the Blind. It was a couple of weeks ago, but I never really got around to putting up the pictures...

The kids were really excited to welcome us!

We told them the Easter story, and then some of the Chinese helpers translated for us...
We taught them "This Train" and had them dance around like a "train"... they loved it.

The kids were anywhere from about 8 to 18 years old. And most, if not all of the students live at the school. I was amazed at how much energy and confidence some of these kids have! I expected them all to be shy, quiet, and reserved, and to stay in one place. That was the case for a few of the kids, but a lot of them were running around (literally-running!) like any other kids. And they rarely ran into other people- they have incredible hearing. One of the little boys was even doing cartwheels all over the place! And when it was time to go into another building to start our program, they were the ones showing us how to get there!

After our "program" was over, we fed the kids some cake and juice (they loved it!) and sat around talking to them for a while... I got a chance to practice my Chinese! It was a lot of fun, and it's near to our university, so I'm hoping to get a chance to go back! There's also a school for deaf kids down the road from there... Who knows, maybe I'll get to go there too! :)

Click here if you want to see some more pictures...

No comments:

Post a Comment